Tuesday, December 20, 2016

25 Thoughts on Christmas # 17

“How will this be, since I am a virgin?”

When the angel Gabriel came to Mary with the incredible declaration that she would give birth to the Messiah, Mary responded by saying, “How will this be, since I am a virgin?”  That’s a fair question.  People find out they’re pregnant all the time, but not like this AND especially not when they are a virgin.  Up to this point in her life, Mary could have taken 100 pregnancy tests and they all would have come back negative for one very simple reason:  Virgins do not have positive pregnancy tests … that is until now.

“How will this be?”  It’s a question I find myself asking often.  “God, you promise to finish in me the work you started … how will this be?”  “Jesus, you say that if I’m weary and burdened that I can come to you and you will give me rest … how will this be?”  “God, you say that I am more than a conqueror, but that’s not how I’m feeling right now.  How will this be?” 

How will this be?  "I am the LORD, the God of all the peoples of the world. Is anything too hard for me?” (Jeremiah 32:27)  How will this be?  "O Sovereign LORD! You made the heavens and earth by your strong hand and powerful arm. Nothing is too hard for you!” (Jeremiah 32:17)  How will this be?  “Overhearing what they said, Jesus told them, ‘Don’t be afraid: just believe.’” (Mark 5:36)  How will this be?  “Jesus looked at them and said, ‘With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.’" (Matthew 19:26)  When Mary asked the question, “How will this be?” Gabriel’s answer was consistent with what he had seen God do since the beginning of time … “For nothing is impossible with God.”  (Luke 1:37)

“How will this be?”  If you’re anything like me, I sometimes find it easier to tell God what He can’t do.  But Christmas is, once again, a reminder that “with God all things are possible.”   “All things” … I looked up the original Greek word for “all.”  You know what it means?  “All.”  Not some things.  Not a few things. Not just things naturally possible. Not simply things that fit within our limits.  But, ALL things are possible.

As we inch closer to celebrating the birth of our Savior, I pray that our faith will be anchored in a God who still likes to show off His power and that we will discover, as Mary did, that nothing is impossible with God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive