Tuesday, June 21, 2016

God Was On the Penske Too

In June of 2014, everything my wife and I had accumulated over 12 years of marriage was squeezed into a 21-foot-long Penske truck.  The two of us were sitting on the floor of an empty home no longer our own ... and we were both in tears.  We were moving, but more than that, we were leaving everything we had ever known.  Our family was forged in that small Indiana town.  Our best memories were made in that now empty house.  I began the process of learning how to be a husband, a dad, and a pastor in that place.  Our closest friendships were staying but we were moving.  We were leaving our comfortable, mid-Western life and moving to an unfamiliar one that could not feel any more different.

If I can be honest, at that moment I was feeling very broken and weak.  In the silence of that empty home, every doubt that had whispered to me in the months prior was now screaming at my soul.  I was afraid, but I was trusting that this was where God was leading.  

With that in mind, we prayed, and then started up the Penske.  That difficult "good-bye" allowed us to experience the beautiful "hello" of God's goodness, God's faithfulness, God's mercy, and God's grace. I could not be more grateful. What we ultimately discovered was that God was on that Penske too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive