Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Tonight I'm Tired of Waiting


All day long I’ve had the word “waiting” in my mind.  I wasn’t exactly sure why, but it’s been a word I haven’t been able to shake throughout the day.  When things like this happen for me, I typically begin to write and let the words go where they may.  I’m an internal processor and words are a good way for me to bring what’s inside to the outside.  So, I’ve been well waiting to do this all day in hopes to explore and discover.

Then the news of another mass shooting came across my screen.  My heart broke for the victims and the families impacted by the tragedy in San Bernardino.  I was so angry at the gunmen involved and I prayed they would be brought to justice.  After hearing the news of yet another mass killing, I found myself asking the question David asked in Psalm 35:17 “How long, oh Lord, will You look on?”  I found myself asking the question the prophet Habakkuk asked in Habakkuk 1:2 “How long, O LORD, must I call for help? But you do not listen! "Violence is everywhere!" I cry, but you do not come to save.” 

Tonight I find myself angry over the brokenness in our world.  I find myself longing for peace and restoration.  I hunger for the perfect peace of heaven yet I’m force-fed a diet of this war zone called earth. In other words I find myself waiting waiting for what God said will happen to finally happen freedom from the brokenness of this world and for all that’s wrong to be made right.  Romans 8:21 reminds us that all “creation looks forward to the day when it will join God’s children in glorious freedom from death and decay.”   Tonight I find myself longing for that day to come, but until it does, I wait.

We live our lives in wait between our human circumstances and the promises of God.  And, in the famous words of Tom Petty “the waiting is the hardest part.” In this broken world, there is always something looking to shake my faith.  And, the more painful a situation is, the more difficult it can be to wait and believe.   There are some painfully large circumstances we will face in this life and the more difficult the circumstance, the more painful the hurt, the more difficult it can be to trust God is still at work.

Tonight I find myself tired of waiting.  I’m sure many of you do as well.  Yet, “in the waiting” is where we are all kept because it’s in the waiting that strength can be found.  “Meanwhile, the moment we get tired in the waiting, God’s Spirit is right alongside helping us along. If we don’t know how or what to pray, it doesn’t matter. He does our praying in and for us, making prayer out of our wordless sighs, our aching groans. He knows us far better than we know ourselves, knows our pregnant condition, and keeps us present before God. That’s why we can be so sure that every detail in our lives of love for God is worked into something good.” (Romans 8:26-28 The Message)  “He gives power to the faint,
 and to him who has no might He increases strength. Even youths shall faint and be weary,
 and young men shall fall exhausted; but they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength;
 they shall mount up with wings like eagles; 
they shall run and not be weary; 
they shall walk and not faint.” (Isaiah 40:28-31)  “Even so, come quickly, Lord Jesus.”  (Revelation 22:20)

4 comments:

  1. very much what we all need to hear to help us through the craziness of what is going on

    ReplyDelete
  2. very much what we all need to hear to help us through the craziness of what is going on

    ReplyDelete
  3. You pretty much nailed where my heart has been recently. Well said.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Waiting days are the hardest days. Waiting to see what God will do, knowing you have zero control on what is going on. I thought a lot about the Saturday of Easter weekend during my "waiting days". How scared and fearful they must have been! How scared and fearful we usually are! But we know something they don't, that Jesus defeated death and lives! Because of Jesus, we don't have to be fearful during our waiting days. We may not know how our individual hardship may turn out but we know Jesus and he is good.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive