Monday, May 4, 2015

Prayers for Our Wives and Marriages Week 2


Last week, I mentioned that I would be posting some prayers that we, as husbands, can be praying for our wives and marriages.  You can read about that here, if you'd like.  One thing I believe is that strong marriages don't just "happen."  We have to go "all in" to make it work.  But, I think it's vital to understand that we do not do this in our own strength.  It's not our exertion that will make our marriage strong, but rather our humble dependance upon God and His strength.  We can love because we humbly depend on God's love.  We can offer grace because we humbly depend on God's grace.  We can be strong because we humbly depend on God's strength.  God is honored much more through our humble dependence upon Him rather than our exertion.  That is why prayer is vital to our marriages.  It is through prayer that we admit we need God and depend on the strength we receive through the Holy Spirit to love, honor, cherish, and serve our wives and help them fall more in love with Jesus themselves.

With that said, here are 7 more days of prayer for our wives and marriages.  May God use these prayers to draw our wives, and us, closer to Him.

Monday

Jesus, You gave Yourself up for us, Your church … Your bride.  When you did this, You made us holy, and we are presented to You as radiant, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish.  (Ephesians 5:25 – 27).  We are better because of Your love for us.  You then tell us to love our wives as You love us. (Ephesians 5:25).  May my wife become radiant because of the way I love her.  Amen.

Tuesday

Jesus, You tell me to love my wife as I do my own body.  For no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as You do the Church. (Ephesians 5:29)  As I know the needs of my own body, help me to study my wife and know her needs as well as I do my own. Teach me how to best nourish and cherish my wife.  Amen.

Wednesday

Jesus, I long for my wife to be like the one to whom You said, “Woman, you have great faith. Your request is granted.”  (Matthew 15:28)  Please flourish that kind of faith in my wife.  Amen.

Thursday

O God, please set my wife’s heart at rest in Your presence when her heart wants to condemn her. Help her to remember that You, God, are greater than her heart, and You know everything. (1 John 3:19–20) Amen.

Friday

Father God, according to Your Word, the angel of the Lord encamps around those who fear You, and You deliver them. As a couple, continually increase our appetite and help us to taste and see that You are good.  Let us take refuge in You! Lord God, please continue to develop in us the right kind of fear of You because Your Word says that those who fear You lack nothing. The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek You, Lord, lack no good thing. (Ps. 34:7–10)    Amen.

Saturday

Father, I lift my wife up to You today and ask that You help her to know the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, that though He was rich, yet for her sake He became poor, so that she through His poverty might become rich. (2 Cor. 8:9) Please help her to continually discover the riches of Christ in her life.  Amen.

Sunday


God, I pray that out of Your glorious riches You will strengthen my wife with power through Your Spirit in her inner being, so that Christ may dwell in her heart through faith. And I pray that she, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that she may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God. Help her to believe that You who are able to do immeasurably more than all she could ask or imagine, according to Your power that is at work within her.  Let her give You glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen. (Eph. 3:16–21) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive