Monday, April 27, 2015

Prayers for Our Wives and Marriages


The picture above is of two very good friends.  I haven't asked them if I could use this picture of the two of them, so I'm hoping they're OK with it and not asking for royalties.  :)  I love this picture of the two of them.  It's just a very intimate picture of a husband praying for and with his wife.  Beautiful.

Beside my officially registered “hands of stone,” the most powerful offensive and defensive weapon I possess for the protection of my marriage is prayer.  Someone once said, “I am utterly convinced that the two major weapons with divine power in our spiritual warfare are the Word of God and Spirit-empowered prayer.”  So, if I can combine the very words of God with my words in prayer … it’s like a super weapon in our spiritual warfare! 

Each Monday for the next few weeks, I plan to post 7 days of prayers husbands can pray over and for their wives.  Most of these prayers are ones I've written from Scripture.  Others, I have come across throughout the years or are from a book on prayer by Beth Moore. They are designed to be a way to pray specifically for our wives, our marriages, and for us husbands.  May we commit to praying these prayers for the next 7 days and trust God to do His work in our wives, our marriages, and us.

Monday

God, Your word describes David as a “talented harp player.”  (1 Samuel 16:18)  But, he is also described as a “brave warrior.”  (1 Samuel 16:18)  In my mind, those two things do not seem to go together … playing the harp and being a mighty warrior.  But, Your word shows me that one of the greatest men mentioned in the Bible was both of these things.  You show me that I can be tender and compassionate, yet brave and strong at the same time.  I believe You call me to be both of these for my wife.  Help me to be tender enough to listen to her day and strong enough to not allow anything to come between us.  Help me to be tender enough to hold her hand and strong enough to always provide for her.  Help me to be tender enough tot cry with her and strong enough to fight for her.  Help my shoulders always to be soft enough for her to fall asleep on and strong enough to help carry her burdens.  Keep me balanced, God.  Help me never to be so tender that I become too soft to fight.  Help me never to become such a hardened warrior that I become hard for my wife to lean on comfortably.  Teach me how to be tender and strong.  Amen.


Tuesday

Jesus, You have said, “Peace I leave with you; My peace I give you.”  (John 14:27)  I pray that my wife will experience Your peace.  You have already said that You have given it to her.  I’m holding You to Your word and now asking that she will experience Your peace every day.  You, Jesus, were always the most peaceful One in every crowd.  You slept in the midst of a storm (Matthew 8:24).  You calmly walked through crowds of people wanting to kill You (Luke 4:29 – 30).  You looked demons in the eye and didn’t flinch (Luke 4:33 – 35).  The peace that You had in every situation is the peace You now give in every situation.  I pray that as my wife walks through her day, that she will experience Your peace.  I pray that our home is a home of peace.  I pray that our marriage is a marriage of peace.  And, when the demands are increasing and the stressors of life are adding up, I pray that her heart will not be troubled (Luke 14:27) but that she will experience the peace that only You can give.  Amen.

Wednesday

God, you have told me to “share love only with my wife.” (Proverbs 5:15)  You have told me that we should reserve intimacy only for each other (Proverbs 5:17).  I pray that I may always be captivated by her (Proverbs 5:19) and that she will be a fountain of blessing for me (Proverbs 5:18).  I pray that my eyes will feast on her and that her body, her beauty, and her personality will be the one that I am always most attracted too.  Please help me to always make the choice to rejoice in the wife of my youth.  (Proverbs 5:18)  Amen.

Thursday

Father God, I pray that you will make my wife completely sure of what You want for her by giving her all the wisdom and spiritual understanding she needs.  I pray that she will live in a way that brings honor to You and pleases You in every way. (Colossians 1:9 – 10)  Amen.

Friday

Father, I pray that You will enable my wife to produce good works of every kind and that she will grow in her knowledge of You.  I ask that You will strengthen her with Your great power so that, no matter what comes up in her life, she will be patient and not give up.  (Colossians 1:10 – 11)  Amen.

Saturday

Jesus, our world is full of “idols” seeking to weasel their way in to my wife’s heart.  In the midst of everything that is fighting for her heart, I pray that she will depend on You only, drawing life and strength from You alone.  I pray that she will not be led astray by anyone or anything and I ask that You to remind her daily that, because she belongs to You, Jesus, she is complete. (Colossians 2:7 – 10) Amen.

Sunday


God, thank you for choosing my wife.  Thank You for making her holy.  Thank You for loving her.  Thank you for transforming her from the inside out.  I pray that she lives out the new life You have given her.  I pray that she will show mercy to others.  I pray that she will be kind, humble, gentle, and patient.  I pray that she will not be angry and hold grudges, but that she will be willing to forgive because You have forgiven her.  (Colossians 3:12 – 13).  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive