Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Small Town vs. Big City



It's hard to believe that it's been 5 months since I moved from a rural Indiana town to one of the most populated areas of the country.  Needless to say, it's been an adjustment. Here are a few of the differences I've noticed between between small-town Indiana and the big city ... 

Small Town ... If I drove more than 30 minutes, I called it a "trip."
Big Town ... When I drive 30 minutes, I call it going to work.

Small Town ... When traffic is slow it's because of an Amish buggy on the road.
Big Town ... When traffic is slow it's because of the million cars on the road.

Small Town ... I had to plan my day around cutting our grass.
Big Town ... I have to plan my day around traffic patterns.

Small Town ... Security is increased because of the fair.
Big Town ... Security is increased because the President is in the area.

Small Town ... Farmers are happy about the rain because it helps crops grow.
Big Town ... The government is happy about the rain because of the rain tax.

Big Town ... "Red Neck" means you got a little too much sun on your back.
Small Town ... "Red Neck" describes half the people I know.

Big Town ... Wal-Mart is just another store.
Small Town ... Wal-Mart is a way of life.

Big Town ... Emissions are something my car needs to get tested for.
Small Town ... "Emissions" are normal smells from the cow farm next door.

There are definitely pros and cons for both, but, seriously, one thing that has been incredibly encouraging to me is to see that God is moving in small and big ways in both small and big towns.   I firmly believe that the biggest thing God is up to in the world today is building His Church and I'm so thankful that population has nothing to do with that.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive