Monday, September 15, 2014

Vision Talk vs. Pep Talk

A few years ago I ran a Tough Mudder in Indiana. It's a 12 mile obstacle race "designed to hurt you." If you're interested, you can read about it here.  Anyway, at the beginning of the race, there was a man with a microphone getting everyone pumped up.  And, seriously, he did an amazing job of it!  Every word was intended to motivate you and get you in the right frame of mind for the race.  At this point, there was no loud music ... just the intensity of his voice. By the time he was done, I was ready to take on an NFL lineman!  I was like an ADD kid with a Red Bull in both hands.  I was pumped!  So, I started the race strong with the emotion of an incredible pep talk. But, after about a mile of mud and sand dunes and hills, the emotion wore off and I was tired and I got a taste of how difficult the race would be.  It was going to take more than a pep talk for me to finish. The pep talk got me started.  The vision of finishing is what got me to the end.  

Never forget what your win is. Always keep the vision of who you want to become in front of you. You'll hear some great encouragement from others along the way. Soak it up. Allow their words to carry you, but realize their words will only carry you so far. At some point, the inner motivation of "vision" needs to kick in and we need to decide this is who we are going to be or this is what we are going to do or this is what my life is going to be about. A pep talk may get you pointed in the right direction. Vision will get you to the finish. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive