Monday, February 10, 2014

So Many Choices!

My wife and I are not huge TV people, but Sunday night typically is a TV night for us.  Anyway, last night was filled with so many excellent choices:  the Olympics, Downton Abbey, The Walking Dead, and The Beatles: The Night That Changed America.  (Yes, I did just use Downton Abbey and The Walking Dead in the same sentence.)

Seriously, I could not have gone wrong with any of those choices, but I could only choose one to watch fully. That small dilemma reminded me of a much greater dilemma that we all face. We all have demands for our attention and most of those demands come from really good things. We have family, we have work, we have hobbies, we have activities the list is literally endless.  The problem is that there simply is not enough time to get everything done that we want to get done or to do everything that we want to do or even what others think we SHOULD do.  What this means is that someone or something is not going to get what they want from you. 

We all have several areas of life that demand our time:  your wife, your husband, your kids, your career, your hobbies, the house needs cleaned, the driveway needs shoveled, we fill our calendars, we run here, there, we have this, we have that.  If you’re a parent of a teenager, you’re going to games, picking them up from practice, going to recitals, running your kids here and there, helping them with this and that.  If you’re a parent of a toddler, you’re wiping noses, you’re wiping butts, you’re wiping boogers off the furniture, you’re finding things around the house you didn’t even know existed inside the human body again, the demands upon your time seem to be endless.

I am certainly not perfect at this and I have so much to learn and so far to go, but one verse in particular has really helped me try to organize my life in a way that honors God.  It's Psalm 90:12 which says, "Teach us to realize the brevity of life so that we may grow in wisdom."  At the end of each day, all of our time is going to get spent.  Once the day is done, it's done.  And, the day will eventually come when all of our life's minutes are spent. Once the minutes are gone, they're gone.  The more I realize this, the more I'll be able to focus and choose with wisdom.  I think it was Andy Stanley who said "If I plan my day like my time is unlimited, at the end of the day the ones who are most important in my life will usually get cheated."  I, like you, have many demands for my time, but if my wife and kids regularly feel "cheated" by me, then I am failing as a husband and dad.  My wife and kids don't want to feel cheated.  They want to feel like a priority. My desire is at the end of every day there was never a doubt in the minds of my wife and kids that they were my greatest earthy priority.  Sometimes I succeed in that.  Other times I fail.  It's certainly tricky to know how to balance so many good and meaningful things in life.  But, my wife and kids feeling like they were my priority is a goal I strive for every day.  

Do those most important to you feel like they are your priority or do they regularly feel cheated because of how you use your time?

By the way, we chose Downton Abbey Sunday night.  Hope that doesn't cause me to lose my "man card."  :)  But, to be honest, it's what my wife wanted to watch and it was one small way to let her know "You are a priority."  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive