Thursday, January 2, 2014

We Go on Because It's 11:30



This week I had the opportunity to watch a documentary on the 1975 debut of Saturday Night Live.  I used to really enjoy watching the show, but I honestly do not watch it much anymore.  The only way I'd make it to 11:30pm these days is with a lethal combination of 5-Hour Energy, expresso, and a defibrillator.  My "all-nighter" days are long gone.  These days an all-nighter is simply not waking up to go to the bathroom!  Anyway, it was a fascinating documentary on how the idea of the show came about and how the cast was chosen.  I gained a greater appreciation for how talented and gifted Lorne Michaels really is.  

One of the really interesting things Lorne Michaels said about the first season of Saturday Night Live is, "We didn't go on because we were ready.  We went on because it was 11:30."  He spoke to the fact that, since it was a live show, they were going to be on TV if they were ready to do it or not.  


That quote has stayed with me all week and it got me thinking about how many times I'm guilty of waiting until everything is perfect before taking steps forward.  I doubt I'm the only one like this.  We often try to make sure we have this right and that right and this planned and that planned so we don't make fools of ourselves.  I'm certainly not against planning and preparing, but the problem is that waiting until everything is perfect will always keep us, well ... waiting.  We'll never move forward.  Jon Acuff wrote: "Regardless of your age or station in life, it all comes down to one simple truth:  you just have to start ... the only line you completely control is the starting line."  


Is there something you simply need to start?  Don't worry about the finish at this point.  So many factors go in to the finish.  Don't worry about making sure everything is perfect.  Just start.  "But, I'm so far from where I want to be."  Just start.  "I used to be able to run 10 miles.  I can barely run 1 these days."  Just start.  "I haven't spent time with God in ages."  Just start.  "I'm not sure I know how to reconnect with my wife."  Just start.  "I'm not content with my job, but I wouldn't even know how to begin looking for something else."  Just start.  "I haven't really 'talked' with my teenager for a long time. How could I ever get back in touch with him/her?"  Just start.  


It's 11:30.  We're live.  Ready or not, the show is about to begin.  Just start.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive