Monday, May 7, 2012

One America 500 Festival Half Marathon


I finished my 3rd half marathon this past Saturday in Indianapolis with approximately 40,000 other runners.  I didn't quite make my goal time, but I did have my best time to date in a half marathon ... 2:13.  I finished 10,298th overall ... more towards the top than the bottom which does my ego good.  :) But, to keep me humble, I was passed by a guy pushing a wheel chair and also a lady that looked in her 60's. :)

The "Indi-Mini" as it's called is really an amazing experience.  Thousands and thousands of people, amazing volunteers, so well organized and ran, tons of people cheering you on along the way ... it really is a lot of fun.

It was a bit hotter than I was expecting.  Temps were in the 70's but humidity was 90%.  I was literally drenched by the end of mile 1 and knew that it was just going to feel hotter and hotter along the way.  But, my goal was to mentally stay positive the entire race.  I was able to do that, thankfully.  It's also fun to try to be an encouragement to other runners along the way, which I tried to do as well.  

Something else that was really cool ... lots of people from our church did this race.  I love that!  Our lead pastor is a runner and has set the tone for physical activity in our church and it has really worked it's way down into our people.  

Four years ago, our worship pastor's wife Marcie, encouraged me to run this same half marathon.  At the time I didn't think there was any way I could ever do it.  But, her small encouragement sent me on a journey that has stuck with me to this day.  And, what is really cool is that, since that time, she has also challenged many others to run the race and they've taken her up on her challenge and completed it.  Most people can do a half marathon.  Barring any physical limitations, most people can do one ... it's just a matter of deciding they want to do it and then putting the time in to make it happen.  It's not a matter of "can't" but of "won't."  So, you too can get on this journey if you simply decide too.  It's a fun ride!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive