Wednesday, April 25, 2012

40 Days of Oatmeal


So, for Lent this year, I decided to try something slightly different.  Instead of "giving up" something, I decided to only have oatmeal and fruit for breakfast during that time.  I usually have oatmeal 3 times a week anyway, but decided for the 40 days of Lent, I would have NOTHING else for breakfast except oatmeal and fruit.  By week 3, let me tell ya, it was starting to get old and by the time it was finally over, I couldn't WAIT for something different for breakfast!

It's been over two weeks since Lent ended and today was my first day having oatmeal since that time.  I had told my wife several times that I need to get back to eating oatmeal, but just couldn't bring myself to do it.  I realize it's one of the healthiest things a person could eat.  It has great benefits for your body, but I was so burnt out on it, I couldn't bring myself to eat any.  Well, this morning I said the same thing to my wife and she finally said to me, "You just have to do it, babe.  Stop talking about it and just do it."  (She has a very tender way of speaking truth to me.)  :)  So, I did.  And it was GREAT!

I share that for this simple reason ... how many times do we talk about doing something but never do it?  I know it sounds so simple, but the best way to get something done is to first start it.  What have you been talking about doing for a long time, but just haven't done it?  Maybe today is the day to start.  And, having someone to give you that extra "nudge" to stop talking and start doing is so valuable.  Who is that person in your life and in whose life are YOU that person?  

So, what's holding you back?  A vast majority of the time it's just ourselves and our lack of desire to start.  But, you CAN do this.  It's amazing how much momentum can happen when you simply start. 

2 comments:

Blog Archive