Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Only God Does This Sort of Stuff

So, if you have 3 minutes to read an AMAZING story, this is worth your time ...

Got a phone call last week from a guy who I've known for approximately 5 years.  I don't have a close relationship with him, but have counseled his daughter when she was in our youth ministry and have had some other interactions with him.  Anyway, he calls me and says "I made the decision!"  And, I'm like "What are you talking about?"  And then he begins to tell me what happened.  This guy has had his struggles with drugs.  He's battled those demons for many years.  Some years clean.   Some years not.  For the past couple of months he had been "using" and he described himself to me as "miserable."  The drugs weren't doing what they used to do for him.  So, he made a "deal" with God.  He decided that when he got off work Thursday morning at 2:45AM, he was going to try to "find" God.  If nothing happened, he said he was just taking off and blowing the money he had on some more drugs and just going away for a long time.

He decided that if he was going to look for God, he could probably "find" him at Grace Community Church.  So, he ended up in our church parking lot at 3:30AM and decided to stay there and go up to the first person who came up to the doors of the church.  At 6:00am, we open our building to the community to use our work out facilities.  One of our volunteers showed up at 6:00am to open the building and this man came right up to him and said, "I'm not drunk.  I'm not high.  I'm just trying to find God.  Can you help me?"  He began to explain what was going on to our volunteer.  Long story short ... the guy surrendered his life to Jesus that morning!

So, he's telling me this and I'm about jumping out of my chair because of it!  There was a brokenness and a joy in his voice that I had never heard before.  He said he felt truly at peace and he just needed to share it with someone.  I felt incredibly honored to be that someone.  He came to church on Sunday, found me, and gave me the biggest hug I've ever received.  This is a BIG man ... biker type of dude ... former bouncer.  He literally picked me up off the ground and shook me like a rag doll.  After recovering from the brain trauma, I stood there with tears in my eyes looking at the tears in his eyes.  It was priceless.  We are now trying to surround him now with good men to help him in his journey.  If you think of it, please pray for this man.  Only God does this type of stuff and it's so humbling to be able to see many of these stories first hand!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive