Friday, December 9, 2011

Axis Wrap Up - Bringing Christmas Home





We started our Christmas series, Bringing Christmas Home, this past Wednesday at axis.  I am a sucker for everything Christmas and really love this time of year.  So, I'm always excited when I have the opportunity to, well, project my love for Christmas on to our youth ministry.  The games, the music, the opening videos all have a great Christmas "feel" to them.  But, I often feel the pressure of trying to come up with something super creative to talk about at Christmas.  I put the pressure on myself to spice up the Christmas story a bit.  Well, as I was thinking about that while preparing to speak, I was very convicted about my attitude.  I mean, seriously, Jesus crossing the expanse of the Universe to become a human to show His love and to allow us the opportunity to know God ... that doesn't need spiced up.  That's the greatest thing that has ever happened to us!  Whether we believe it or not, whether we accept it or not, whether we turn to God or not ... God's love for us would not be stopped.  To date, astronomers have found a galaxy that is 13 billion light years away from us.  If I'm not mistaken, that's the farthest object we are able to detect.  13 billion light years means that, traveling at 186,000 miles per hour, it would still take 13 billion years to get there ... but not even that distance could come close to stopping Jesus and His pursuit of us.  He crossed the expanse of the Universe to declare His love and to allow us to know Him.  

We used this video to sort of illustrate the idea that God would not be stopped in His pursuit of us.  



We used two verses, John 1:1 and 1:14 to speak of God's passion for us and what the Christmas story is all about.  My encouragement to our students was simply this ... let's stay focused on Jesus.  Jesus is the greatest gift we've ever been give.  Don't exchange that gift for anything else.  

It was really a good night filled with some fun dancing, great worship, and topped off by a girl coming up to me after our senior high time and asked me "What does it mean to be a follower of Jesus?"  I had the opportunity to lead her to Jesus that night!  

Next Week:  Bringing Christmas Home with Generosity

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive