Friday, October 7, 2011

Axis Wrap Up - Guys and Girls


We started a new series at axis Wednesday called Guys and Girls.  Our church is beginning a new series this Sunday called Daughters and so I decided to team up with our church as a whole (I often try to do that because I believe our youth ministry is part of the whole church and when we can team up we should) but morphed it a little bit and will be addressed girls one week, guys the next, and vice versa for the rest of the month.  Each time I speak to a specific gender, I plan to show a video for the opposite gender that is just for them.  This week's video was for the guys.  It's about 5 minutes long and my wife described it as "never getting those 5 minutes of her life back" ... but our guys just really seemed to love it.  Here's the YouTube link to it.  

This week I spoke specifically to girls and used the main thought of "Yes, be concerned with your outward beauty, but focus the best of your time and attention to your inward beauty."  My nearly 3 year old daughter, Mercy, LOVES to feel beautiful.  Put a dress on her and she twirls and spins and looks in the mirror and will just wait for me to comment on how she looks.  I love telling her how beautiful she is.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with desiring to look and feel beautiful.  But, what I also try to do is tell my daughter when she does beautiful things.  So, if she shares a toy, I will often say "Mercy, sharing is a beautiful thing."  If she obeys mommy and daddy I will often say "Obeying mommy and daddy is a beautiful thing."  So, I'm trying, at an early age, to help her see that beauty is not just some we do on the outside ... it's something that is developed on the inside as well.  We looked at Proverbs 31 and discussed some of the character attributes of the woman talked about in that chapter.  What's interesting is, never once, is physical beauty mentioned.  Her beauty comes from her character.  She spends more time becoming the right person and, in so doing, becomes a beautiful person.

Our girls and guys are under so much pressure these days and I'm really praying this series speaks truth in to both our guys and our girls.  The way to rise above the pressure is to allow God's truth to scream louder than the lies that have snuck in to our hearts.

I passed out the lyrics to a Nichole Nordeman song to each of our girls as they left.  The song is called Beautiful for Me and the lyrics are:

Every girl young and old has to face her own reflection
Twirl around, stare it down
What’s the mirror gonna say
With some luck, you’ll measure up
But you might not hold a candle to the rest
“Is that your best?” says the mirror to the mess
But there’s a whisper in the noise
Can you hear a little voice
and He says

Has anybody told you you’re beautiful?
You might agree if you could see what I see
Oh
‘Cuz everything about you is incredible
You should have seen Me smile the day that I made you beautiful for Me

If it’s true beauty lies in the eye of the beholder
Want my life and what’s inside to give Him something to behold
I want a heart that’s captivating
I wanna hear my Father say

Has anybody told you you’re beautiful?
You might agree if you could see what I see
Oh
‘Cuz everything about you is incredible
You should have seen Me smile the day that I made you beautiful for Me
Close your eyes
Look inside
Let Me see the you that you’ve been trying to hide
Long ago, I made you so very beautiful
So I ought to know you’re beautiful

Has anybody told you you’re beautiful?
You might agree if you could see what I see
Yeah
‘Cuz everything about you is incredible
You should have seen Me smile the day that I made you beautiful
You’re so beautiful
Beautiful for me
So beautiful for me
Has anybody told you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive