Thursday, September 15, 2011

Our Utah Vacation

It's been a while since the last entry and that's because my wife and I were away for the past nine days on vacation and I wanted to take a "tech fast" while I was gone.  Carol surprised me in June by telling me she had planned a trip to Utah for just the two of us to celebrate my 40th birthday.  We spent 5 days in Utah hiking and it was simply amazing.  Most of our time was spent at Zion National Park with a day trip to Bryce Canyon as well.  We had a very active vacation filled with hiking at least 5 miles per day and we were able to experience God's creation hands on.  It was so refreshing.  I plan to write more about each of our hikes over the next couple of days but for now here are a few pictures from the vacation.


Hiking to the bottom of Bryce Canyon.  We spent the entire morning and afternoon hiking the canyon. It was so much fun.


This is me at the top of Angel's Landing.  Angel's Landing is a nearly 6 mile hike (round trip) strenuous hike that is, to say the least, intense.  Since 1983, 10 people have sadly died on this hike because they've fallen off of the cliffs we hiked on.  


This hike was through the Narrows.  75% of the hike was in the 65 degree Virgin River.  So fun!


It's called The Narrows because you're surrounded by rock on both sides ... as you can see.  This was our first hike of the week and both Carol and I felt like we "came alive" on this hike.  It was so refreshing and adventurous.  


From the top of Angel's Landing.  You can see Carol's shoe in the bottom right corner.  It's about a 1500 foot drop from there.  That was one of our favorite hikes!

We've both come back refreshed from our trip and just loved the time away with each other.  It's not often that we are away from our 3 kids, but on this trip we were and I felt like we made the absolute most of every day that we were away.  By the end of each day we were both exhausted, but it was the sort of exhaustion that you feel good about ... knowing we didn't waste any time but made the most of our moment together.  It was an amazing trip and I wouldnt' have wanted to do it with anyone else other than my beautiful wife.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive