Saturday, June 18, 2011

Nicaragua Update # 4 ... Hard Work Does a Body Good

Today was much different than our past days in Nicaragua.  We spent most of our morning and a good part of the afternoon doing some pretty intense physical labor.  We visited an orphanage and part of what they are doing is starting gardens, not only so they can grow food but also so they can teach the kids how to garden.  It's really cool.  So, we spent our day digging up ground, throwing away stone blocks, putting together raised garden beds, and filling those beds with dirt.  It's the end of the day here and I'm beat.  It was good, hard work.  Our kids did amazing, once again.  It was at least 95 degrees outside and the humidity was really bad, but they worked hard all day, got filthy, and loved every minute of it.  One of our teens told me that when she works like this at her job, even though she gets paid she just doesn't enjoy it.  But, today she felt good the entire day working hard because she knew it was for the kids. 

After our work, we toured the orphanage which hosts approximately 45 kids.  We then went back to where we are staying, cleaned up, had dinner, and then went back to the orphanage for a "talent" show.  All in all, a great day!  I told our kids that at the end of every day they should feel beat because of giving their all on the trip.  Well, I don't think we'll have any problem feeling beat tonight.


The kids LOVED being hauled in the wheel barrows!  I had just hauled about 30 loads of dirt in incredible heat in a wheel barrow that was broken.  But, these kids wanted a ride and I was glad to give it to them. 


Again, our kids just did amazing today.  I was so proud of them for working so hard.  They were so dirty at the end of the day ... mainly because of me throwing dirt on them trying to keep things upbeat.  :)


Not sure who Katy was thinking of when she was swinging that sledge hammer, but she was swinging with some authority!


The orphans at the talent show. 


I'm certainly not fluent in Spanish, but think I understood what this meant.  I love the actual picture ... just in case you weren't sure what to use those things for. 

Our church supports Asia's Hope orphanages.  Those are our kids.  I've never been able to go on a trip to Asia's Hope and certainly hope to be able to do so at some point.  But, being at this orphanage was probably as close as it could get to actually seeing our kids at Asia's Hope.  When leaving I was tearing up just thinking of these kids who have no parents, no family.  My heart broke for them, but at the same time I was so happy for them because the people at this orphange really cared for the kids and had a specific plan for each child that comes in to the orphanage.  It was so great to hear about what they try to do with each child.  And, the pastor that runs the orphanage looked at these kids in the same way that our pastor and church looks at Asia's Hope ... they were his kids.  I loved the experience today and am so thankful that God allowed me to be there. 

Please continue to pray for our trip.  3 of our kids STILL do not have their bags!  I'm dealing with a bit of a stomach issue at the moment.  And, we still have 2 full days of ministry ahead of us.  Pray for strength, continued amazing attitudes, and that we'll just be a clear picture of Jesus to every person we come in contact with.  Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive