Friday, April 8, 2011

A Different Type of Spring Break

I've had some great opportunities this week to spend time serving side by side with many of the students from our youth ministry. One of the core values we try to teach students at axis is the importance of serving others. If "our attitude is to be the same as that of Christ Jesus" (Philippians 2:5 - 11) then we definitely need to be serving others and giving back. We've had several opportunities to do that this week. On Wednesday I took a group of high school students to Aurora, IL, to work at a homeless shelter and then to pack meals at Feed My Starving Children. Today I was able to take another group of high school students to a local homeless shelter and serve lunch to the residents and also to walk-ins. The work was by no means glamorous, but I've left feeling refreshed and encouraged. Our kids worked hard and had great attitudes the entire time. It was also just fun to spend an extended period of time with them. I love the surprise in their eyes when we debrief and they are like "Wow, that was awesome!" Serving isn't always easy and there are times when it's down right difficult. But, it always seems to bring a sense of fulfillment, as if it was something we were created to do. Ironically enough, I believe we were.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive