Saturday, February 12, 2011

I Haven't Taken a Date to a Dance Since My Senior Prom

... but that changed last night.

We had our annual Daddy Daughter Dance at Grace Community Church and it's honestly one of my favorite events that we do. The reason is because little girls and adult women come to this dance with their dad and you can just see the look of "I feel cherished" in their eyes. I'm not sure what it is, but there is just something in us that seeks approval from our fathers. From the time a toddler can say "Daddy, look at what I can do!" there is this innate desire in us to have our dad's approval ... to have them say "I'm proud of you" or "You look beautiful." I've talked with teenagers who are struggling because they feel like their dad doesn't love them. I've talked with adults whose "adult" struggles can be traced back to their desire to simply feel like their dad approves. Dads are given an incredible responsibility in their family.

The Daddy Daughter Dance is just a simple way for us as a church to provide an opportunity for dads to cherish their daughters ... young and old alike. We had so much fun and it was particularly fun for me because I was able to bring my daughter Mercy to the dance. She looked beautiful!

The dance is just that ... a dance! Lots of loud music that just makes you want to move! There's some slow songs and some classic dance songs and, with the invention of the Wii, we've been able to add Just Dance 1 and 2 to the mix. That's really changed things because it gives the feel that, while dancing, everyone's eyes are on the screen and NOT on you! It gives a little more freedom to ... well ... just dance. Below are some pics from the night.



This picture is just classic



The photographer told me that "Shoes on the table would never happen if a mom was present."




Our lead pastor "cuttin' a rug" with his daughter Hannah.




Our children's pastor dancin' it up with his daughter Ellie.



I believe this is the Cha Cha Slide.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive