Friday, January 28, 2011

Axis Wrap Up 1-26-10 The Path To a God-Guided Life

We continued The Path series at axis on Wednesday with the topic The Path to a God-Guided Life. I wanted to talk to our kids about how they could set themselves on a path to hear God's voice in their life. Here are a couple of the high-lited ideas from the talk:

- God is active in your life. Sometimes we get the idea that God is just this disconnected presence who isn't all to concerned with our personal lives. When I read the Bible, I see that nothing could be further from the truth. God is approachable. God is available. God is active and desires to help guide us on a path that will allow us to be a part of His bigger plan.

- The Bible says in Galatians 5:16 "So I say, let the Holy Spirit guide your lives. Then you won't be doing what your sinful nature craves." It also says in Galatians 5:25 "Since we are living by the Spirit, let us follow the Spirit's leading in every part of our lives." I talked about who the Holy Spirit is and that every follower of Jesus has the very presence of God (the Holy Spirit) living inside of them. Part of the Holy Spirit's role is to guide us. Part of our role is to learn how to listen.

- The primary way that I hear God's voice is through the Bible. It's nothing "fancy" or "mystical." If I want to understand what God wants for me and how I can be a part of His bigger plan, the best way to do that is simply by spending time reading what He has already given to us. When I read the Bible I discover more about God's character, I discover what He desires for my life, and I discover how life is to best be lived. It's His road map for living.

- There are certainly times, though, when the whole mysterious nature of God comes in to play. Again, I believe He is active in our lives and I wake up every day asking God to help me follow His lead. I expect Him to lead me and so I try to be senstive to His leading. That means we'll often sense the Holy Spirit leading us to do something or prompting us to do something or nudging us in a certain direction ... it's hearing God's "voice." Here is one example from my recent trip to Nicaragua of that and another example of it from a youth conference I attending this past summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive