Tuesday, December 21, 2010

A New Christmas Thought for Me

As I've been thinking about the Christmas story over the past week, I've been struck by something I never really noticed before. Here are some of the verses I've read and then I'll share my thoughts:

Luke 1:45 - 47 "'Blessed is she who has believed that the Lord would fulfill His promises to her!' And Mary said: 'My soul glorifies the Lord and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior.'"

Luke 2: 13 - 14 "Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God and saying, 'Glory to God in the highest heaven, and on earth peace to those on whom His favor rests.'"

Luke 2:20 "The shepherds returned, glorifying and praising God for all the things they had heard and seen, which were just as they had been told."

Matthew 2:11 "On coming to the house, they saw the child with his mother Mary, and they bowed down and worshipped Him. Then they opened their treasures and presented Him with gifts of gold, frankincense and myrrh."

Luke 2:28 "Simeon took Him (baby Jesus) in his arms and praised God"

Luke 2:38 "Coming up to them (Mary and Joseph) at that very moment, she (Anna) gave thanks to God and spoke about the child (baby Jesus) to all who were looking forward to the redemption of Jerusalem."

Anyway, what I've noticed for the first time is the theme of worship revolving around the story of Jesus' birth. Mary rejoiced in God, the angels praised God, the shepherds glorified and praised God, the magi worshipped Jesus, Simeon praised God, Anna gave thanks to God. The story of Jesus' birth is full of people praising God and worshipping Jesus! What else could our response possibly be? We've been given the greatest gift ever ... a gift that changes everything in our lives. What else could people possibly do other than worship and praise God!

Tomorrow night our youth ministry will be having a special worship celebration. My prayer is that this night will help us focus our attention on Jesus and we could join all the other characters in the Christmas story in worshipping God. I can't wait for the opportunity and to continue teaching our teenagers that worshipping God isn't an event ... it's a lifestyle. And, in that lifestyle there are a ton of different ways to worship God. It's gonna be a great night!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive