We had an all-staff training day at Grace Community this morning and as part of our day we listened to a talk Bill Hybels gave on "Setting Ourselves Up for Optimum Performance." It was super good and I just want to briefly share some random thoughts from the talk:
- Pastors help lead the church and the church is the hope of the world. For that reason we need to seriously ask the question "What do I need to do to allow myself to be at my best."
- We limit ourselves by the way we live our lives. Our talent and abilities should be the only limits we have. Unfortunately, too many other things become limits for us.
- Stress is not a bad thing. Our bodies were created to handle stress. Stress is the stimulus for growth, but, we grow during the recovery times. So we need to intentionally schedule times for recovery in our lives. If we do not choose to do it our bodies will MAKE us do it.
- A great way to work is to work in "bursts." Have 60 to 70 minutes of intense, concentrated work. Then, take a "brain break." Go for a short walk. Make a phone call. Grab a healthy snack. Do something to disengage so you can then re-engage and go at it again.
- Being in ministry, we need to figure out a way to have an end to our day. We also need to figure out a way to have an end to our week. Separate yourself from your "work" day and your "work" week.
- Fitness is incredibly important. Christian leaders are very unaware of how our bodies work and because of that we often wonder why we can't focus. So, keep moving. Stay active. Get regular exercise because it increases our capacity at the end of the day and gives us more energy to use for God's work.
- When we are physically fit we hold up better under stressful situations. If we are not physically fit, smaller issues become bigger problems.
- Never forget about nutrition. A good rule of thumb: If I eat the right stuff 80% of the time I can eat the bad stuff 20% of the time.
- Glorify God with your body.
- We have almost total control over what we eat. Get out of the victim mentality. I'm never a victim of my eating choices.
- Create Structure. Create a Supportive Environment. Create Realistic Expectations.
- ► 2016 (55)
- ► 2015 (38)
- ► 2014 (56)
- ► 2013 (30)
- ► 2012 (71)
- ► 2011 (106)
- Favorite Leslie Nielsen Quotes
- Axis Wrap Up 11/24/10 - Pajama Night
- Monday Miscellaneous
- You Don't See This Everyday
- Feed My Starving Children
- Communion as a Celebration
- Axis Wrap Up 11/17/10 Ask Us Anything
- Daddy Christmas Tips
- Phrases in Our Youth Ministry
- Urban Hope Mission Trip
- Youth Pastor ...
- Axis Wrap Up 11-3-10 Ask Us Anything
- God Provides
- Stress and Recovery
- Monday Miscellaneous
- Axis Wrap Up 10-27-10 What They Believe
- Security Video
- ▼ November (17)