Monday, November 15, 2010

Phrases in Our Youth Ministry

I've been trying to be more intentional lately about using specific phrases in our youth ministry. It's an idea I learned in my communication classes ... the fact that people will remember one specific phrase or idea from a sermon rather than 3 to 5 outline bullet points. I've been trying to put that to work lately in an effort to create a specific "culture" in our ministry. They are:

1. Engage the Heart of God. I've been saying this lately to explain what happens when we worship. We engage God. We focus on Him and let Him know He's the "star of the show." And, it's not just with our music, but when we serve, when we reach out, when we do what God would have us do, we are engaging Him. That will always draw us closer to Him.

2. It Doesn't Just Happen. A phrase I try to use to explain to kids that if they want to grow in their relationship with God they have to be intentional about it. They have to take steps to do it because ... well ... it doesn't just happen.

3. Your Story May Be Exactly What Someone Needs to Hear. Lately I've been giving random opportunities for kids to talk about what God has been doing in their lives. I'm trying to help kids see that God is active. He's not just watching us from up in heaven. He wants to be active in our lives. And, so I let kids have the opportunity to share their story or to share what God is doing in their life. Our kids have really connected with this idea and God has really used it.

4. Embrace Jesus' Way of Life. It's the idea that following Jesus is not a prayer ... it's a way of life. You FOLLOW Jesus. You embrace His way of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive