Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Daddy Christmas Tips

I LOVED this post by Mark Driscoll on how dad's can really make Christmas special for their family. I've already started getting in the Christmas spirit by drinking a few Starbucks Peppermint Mochas already. I can't wait to put some of these tips to use:


1.Dad needs a plan for the holidays to ensure his family is loved and memories are made. Dad, what’s your plan?

2.Dad needs to ensure his family is giving generously during the holidays. Dad, who in need is your family going to adopt, bless, and serve?

3.Dad needs to carve out time for sacred events and experiences to build family traditions that are fun and point to Jesus. Dad, is your calendar ready for December?

4.Dad needs to not let the stress of the holidays, including money, cause him to be grumpy with Mom or the kids. Dad, how’s your joy?

5.Dad needs to make memories and not just give gifts. Dad, what special memories can you make this holiday season?

6.Dad needs to manage the extended family and friends during the holidays. Dad, who or what do you need to say “no” to?

7.Dad needs to schedule a big Christmas date with his daughter(s). Dad, what’s your big plan for the fancy Daddy-daughter date?

8.Dad needs to schedule guy time with his son(s). Dad, what are you and your son(s) going to do that is active, outdoors, and fun?

9.Dad needs to help get the house decorated. Dad, are you really a big help to Mom with getting things ready?

10.Dad needs to ensure there are some holiday smells and sounds. Dad, is Christmas music on the iPod, is the tree up, can you smell cookies and cider?

2 comments:

  1. One of my favorite Christmas memories involving my Dad stems from a huge fight I had with my mom in 8th grade about getting the Christmas Tree. My 7th grade year we had gone with family friends to one of those "cut your own tree" places, it was 40 degrees and raining the entire 6(!) hours we were looking for a tree. When we got home that evening I told my mom that I "was never doing that again." Well, mom made plans to go with those same friends the next year and I, in ways that only an 8th grader can do, positively refused to go. We got in a huge fight which ended with, "Bruce, take your daughter and go get a tree." Dad and I drove 10 minutes to the Christmas tree lot, walked around for 5 minutes, bought a tree and were home 10 minutes later, tree in hand. The entire experience took 25 minutes and we laughed the entire time. As an 8th grader it was one of the best, "aw, Dad, you get me" moments. Every year since then Dad and I go pick out a tree at the corner lot and it takes no more than 45 minutes.
    Parents think Christmas memories need to be bright and shiny and perfect but really, it is all about understanding your kids and helping them cultivate memories that are fun and unique to them. If someone asked me today if I wanted to go to a cut your own tree lot I would politely decline the invitation because honestly, like 8th grade Gail, it doesn't sound like "my kind of fun."

    Anyway, that was my first thought when I read today's blog :)My dad is the sweetest man I know, I know I only survived my teenage years because of how well he knew me and loved me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gail, this was a good reminder for me to always try to "know" my children. What a cool memory to have with your dad! Thanks for sharing that.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive