Monday, November 22, 2010

Communion as a Celebration




I really enjoyed these thoughts from Tom Avey. He is our National Fellowship Coordinator and was able to attend our Communion service last night. Communion is always a special service for us and we put a lot of effort in to it. To be honest ... it makes for a long day. It's planning an entirely different service on top of the 3 services we already do. Some of us are at the church from 6:00am until 1:30pm ... get a 2 hour break and then are back from 3:30pm to 8:00pm. It's a long day ... BUT SO WORTH IT! To remember what Jesus did for us ... to celebrate what awaits us as His followers ... yeah, totally worth it!
While attending communion services were always special when I was growing up, I never really remember saying that "Communion was just AWESOME!" That's what I'm able to say now. We really try to make it an experience ... a journey ... that has time for refection, time for prayer, time for serving, time for singing, time to open the Word, time for friendship, time for celebration ... it's about as all-inclusive a service that we have and it's just really cool to see so many people using so many different gifts to pull it off. It really helped set the tone for me as I begin a week leading in to Thanksgiving. I have so many reasons to be thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive