Monday, November 1, 2010

Axis Wrap Up 10-27-10 What They Believe

We wrapped up our What They Believe series this last Wednesday night ... with a little bit of a twist. For the past three weeks I had been sharing about what other religions believe, but I would always wrap it up by talking about what we believe on the Bible, God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit, Salvation, Heaven ... things like that. So, for three weeks our kids were getting some good theology and they were hearing the Gospel. Well, I decided to take this week to specifically share the Gospel with kids simply by talking to them about what we believe about Jesus Christ. Jesus made some amazing claims and, I'm not the first one to say it, but He was either: the biggest liar ever, completely crazy, or He was who He said He was ... God. I shared from the Bible about the claims Jesus made and how He backed up those claims and then simply shared why I've put my trust in Jesus Christ. I gave an opportunity for kids to respond to that and to make that decision themselves and we had 20 kids make some type of decision for Jesus ... either a first time commitment or some type of recommitment in their life. That was just during our middle school time! Woot Woot!

I had planned to do the same thing during our high school time, but the direction of how high school night changed during our testimony time. I've been trying to give more opportunities for kids to share their stories spontaneously. I want to create a sense of God's active presence in our lives and so I've been giving kids more opportunities to share. The thing I always tell our kids is that you never know when your story may be exactly what someone needs to hear. So, I opened up our testimony time expecting to hear two or three stories ... well, about 15 stories later God seemed to be moving and I just felt like God was saying just roll with this. It was a very powerful time and kids were really encouraging to each other. There were some awesome things that God is doing in the hearts of many of our kids!

We then wrapped our night up by taking an offering for Urban Hope, an inner-city ministry that we support and that we'll actually be taking a trip to in a couple of weeks. I was so proud of our kids! We raised nearly $300.00 to give to Urban Hope! Woo Hoo!

Next Week: Ask Us Anything

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive