Friday, September 10, 2010

Axis Wrap Up 9-8-10 Life of Humility










We were in our 2nd week of our 5 Ways to Be Awesome series at axis. On this night we talked about the idea that if we want our lives to be awesome we have to be humble. People who are arrogant and proud THINK they are awesome, but they really aren't. Humility is so much more attractive than pride. I showed a short video clip of Colt McCoy's interview after Texas lost the National Championship game last year. Something about Colt McCoy ... he's won more games than any other quaterback in NCAA Division 1 history! In 2008 he won the Walter Camp Award and was the runner-up for the Heisman Trophy. In his senior year he won 13 of the top 15 major college player awards including quarterback of the year, offensive player of the year and most outstanding football player of the year. In other words, this guy's a stud and if anyone had a right to be a little arrogant or cocky, it would be him. But, in this interview he showed such humility. I was just blown away by it.
I believe nothing describes Satan more than pride. And, the Bible says in Proverbs 8:13 that God actually HATES pride. I believe the reason for that is because our pride pulls us away from God. There were 3 types of pride we talked about Wednesday night (shout out to Craig Groeschel). The I am better than you type of pride, the I can handle it myself type of pride, and the it doesn't apply to me type of pride. I am better than you will often keep us blinded from hearing our parents and undertanding them. Some teenagers may often think that their parents simply don't have a clue and just don't get it. But, I challenged our kids to realize that someone who is years older than they are and has been through so many more life experiences than they have, may actually have a bit of wisdom they could share with them. But, their pride often keeps them from understanding that and believing that they know better than their parents. The I can handle it myself type of pride will often cause teenagers to keep their feelings in and never share their emotions or the fact that they are going through some struggles. It also shows itself in our prayer life. If we pray, we are telling God that we can't handle it. If we don't pray, we are basically telling God that we can handle it. I don't need You. The it doesn't apply to me pride will often cause teenagers to believe that they are immune to consequences of choices ... even though they've seen so many others get hurt by the same type of choices. For example ... I can text and drive. Even though it causes accidents, it won't happen to me. I can choose to smoke. Even though millions have died of cancer because of smoking, it won't happen to me. I can be in this bad relationship. I won't compromise my values, even though it's happened to so many others. Pride goes before destruction.
Humility, on the other hand, is so much more attractive. The Bible says God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble. (James 4:6) If pride describes Satan, humility describes Jesus. Not sure about you, but I'd rather be a whole lot more like Jesus than Satan. Humility means we put others before ourselves. It means that we look out for the interests of others. It means that we let others have the spot light. I challenged our teenagers to think about who their relationships would be different if they showed humility in their lives. Imagine they are having problems/drama at school. How would that change if both showed humility and treated the other person as they would like to be treated. Maybe they are having problems with their parents. How would that change if both showed humility and treated the other person as they would like to be treated. Pride only BREEDS arguments (Proverbs 10:13). Humility brings resolution.
We wrapped up the night with the challenge that humility is not something you have until humbling yourself is something you do (One of my favorite Beth Moore quotes). The best way to overcome selfishness is to be generous. The best way to overcome fear is to do something bold. The best way to overcome pride is to do humble things. Overall a really good night.
Next Week: 5 Ways to Be Awesome ... Gratitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive