Tuesday, July 27, 2010

A Day in the Life ...

Hospital visits come with the territory when you're a pastor. I had two today that were at both ends of the spectrum. I took the stairs to the 2nd floor and visited one of the missionaries our church supports, a young 27 year old woman who has been diagnosed with Stage 4 breast cancer and is not doing well at all. She was unresponsive when I went for the visit and the news the doctors were giving was not good.

Moments later I took the stairs to the 3rd floor and I spent time with a couple who helps with our youth ministry. They just had their first baby and I was able to make a quick touch with them.

I have a seminary degree and all, but it's stuff like this that you don't learn in seminary. It's days like this that emotions are on a roller coaster. It's days like this when I have to try to figure out how to live out Romans 12:15 "Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn." ... and I have to figure that out in a matter of minutes. What I do know for sure ... God is good and He is right and He is just ... on the 2nd floor and on the 3rd floor and the same Holy Spirit, who Jesus said is our Comforter and our Counselor and our Helper ... He is there for both families doing what only the Holy Spirit can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive