Friday, June 25, 2010

Nicaragua Update # 3

We spent the day in Tipi Tapa today ... a place where, I believe, the government here placed people after a hurricane a couple of years ago. They were only allowed to take what they could carry with them. There were no homes, no supplies, no water, no electricity ... they basically had nothing and were told to live there. What we saw today was what has been developed in the past 2 1/2 years ... and it was poverty like I've never seen before in my life! Here's a picture of a home in the area.


This is one of the streets we were on. All the roads were dirt roads and it had rained hard the night before which made traveling on the roads quite the experience!

Still, in the midst of all of this, there are people who are trying to help. We met a pastor and his wife today who started a church in Tipi Tapa and they also started a school. They had no money, no supplies, but felt led to start these things and they just prayed God would provide. We spent our time with the children of the school. It was a difficult day emotionally for our team, but we learned what it truly means to serve and get nothing back in return. Below Mariah and Leah are, I believe, putting hand sanitizer on the kids. They loved it!



Below are a group of boys from the school. They taught me several words in Spanish ... most of which I can't remember ... and I taught them how to play the game "hot hands." Too difficult to explain how to play the game, so hopefully you've heard of it. My competitive side came out and I just couldn't let the little Nicaraguan boys beat me. :) I had a bracelet on my wrist and the boy on the far right of the picture asked me for it. So, I gave it to him. He then proceeded to ask me for just about every item I had on my body, including my wedding ring. I'll part with a bracelet, but wasn't giving that one up. :)
It was a difficult day emotionally at Tipi Tapa. Honestly, I left that place smelling ... well ... I don't know how to describe it any other way than to say I smelled like feet the rest of the day. The kids were hot and dirty and had a smell to them and they were all over me also. But, I left feeling like I gave emotionally to them as much as I could. It was so sad to see the conditions in which they lived and how desperate they were for things. I left feeling broken hearted for the people there. One little girl really attached herself to me and kept on asking me "Vamonos mi casa" ... "Let's go to my house." I wish I could have, but didn't think that was a good idea. But, how awesome would it have been to show this one little girl some good, Godly one-on-one attention, probably something she never gets now.
Thanks for your continued prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive