Monday, June 7, 2010

Monday Miscellaneous

- I'm back from a week's vacation. I had a really nice time visiting Connecticut and also Maine. My wife and I spent the week with family and it was very nice and a much needed get-a-way for us both. I cut myself off from Facebook and also from email for the 8 days that I was gone. It was really nice. Ezra and Mercy had a blast with their cousins. Here they are with two of their cousins: Haley and Hope eating some donuts at the park.







- We flew to CT, but then drove to ME. The trip to Maine was for a family reunion. Very nice to be at, but a 7 hour trip turned into an 11 1/2 hour trip! Yikes! It was Memorial day weekend and the traffic was just absolutely horrible! It seriously took us 2 hours to go 5 miles at one point. We were all exhausted from the trip, but overall our kids did just amazing!







- While in Maine we spent time at a state park. It was so nice to be outside and Maine is just a beautiful state. Mercy just had a blast walking around the place.







- I also took Ezra fishing for the first time and he caught his first fish! He wouldn't touch it, though, because it was too "flippy" as he called it. :)






- Nothing tests my commitment to Jesus and the whole "Love thy neighbor" way of life more than driving on the east coast. My wife Carol's family lives just about an hour east of New York City. Many people in her area commute to NYC for work. I've driven all over the United States ... LA, Seattle, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia ... but I have honestly never encountered more just blatantly rude and obnoxious drivers than in the New York City area. They take aggressive driving to a whole new level! There's no consideration of other drivers. The attitdue is "I want what I want and I want to get there as fast as possible and if you're in my way I'm going to lay on the horn and then cut you off and then flip you off!" I realize I'm stereo-typing and not all of the drivers in that area are like this, but seriously, if I was honked at one more time I was going to get out of my car and give someone a serious punch to the throat! :) Ihad to ask forgiveness more than once while driving. :)
- The word "toilsome" means "Needing hard work or requiring hard work." I literally experienced the definition of that word over my vacation when I ran up Toilsome Hill. It's a half-mile long hill that is basically straight up. I ran the hill three times while on vacation and made it completely up it twice. The other time I made it half way up before I was about ready to hurl. That was because it was at the end of a long run. As hard as it was to run that hill, I always felt good about myself when I made it to the top.




- If you haven't watched the movie Food, Inc. you really need to rent it. It will completely change the way you look at food. It's similar to the movie Super-Size Me, except instead of talking about McDonalds it confronts the entire food industry. You would not believe the power the food industry holds in our world and how a few companies control a majority of the food indurstry. And, those same companies exert and unfathomable amount of influence on government and policies. Watching that movie really made me even more committed to Going Organic.

1 comment:

  1. Great choice! Our family made this decision a couple years ago. There are so many great resources locally to make this really doable plus the health benefits are incredible. My wife is a great resource if you ever need suggestions. Thanks for another great year at Five Star Rich!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive