Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Doing What You Don't Want to Do



I cracked up when I saw this picture of our Mercy! She was playing "dress up" with the daughters of some good friends of ours ... well, maybe I should say the daughters were dressing up Mercy. By the looks of the picture, she didn't seem to want anything to do with it!

It reminded me of a good principle of being a leader. How do you respond to those tasks you're given that you really don't want to do? How do you respond when you think something is unfair or that you're carrying more than enough of the load of work?

I blew it in this area the other day. We had just bought a new and much bigger blow up pool for our kids. We wanted to use it on Saturday, but weren't able to purchase it until Friday night. I wasn't going to be home during the day on Saturday so I knew that it meant I was going to have to blow the pool up Friday night. Anyway, I had worked all day. It was 9pm. It was hot and humid and mosquitoes were flying everywhere! We only have a hand pump so I knew this wasn't going to be an easy job.

I did it ... it took 30 minutes ... I was dripping with sweat ... I lost a pint of blood to the mosquitoes ... and my attitude was awful the entire time! Instead of turning the situation around in to a positive ... my kids are going to LOVE this ... I can't wait to see them swim in their new pool ... I get to serve my wife ... She's going to see my bulging muscles while I'm using this hand pump :) .... I focused on myself ... it's hot, I'm getting bitten by mosquitoes, I'm going to have to shower after this, I'm tired and deserve better because I worked all day. Yep, I blew it and totally didn't follow the principle of "Do everything without grumbling or arguing" (Philippians 2:14).

There are many facets to leadership. The one that often gets overlooked is the fact that to lead you often have to humble yourself and do the stuff no one else wants to do ... the hot, sweaty, I'm going to stink when this is done stuff. Don't complain. Don't argue. Just do. That's the type of leader I want to be and I try to help our students to be as well. I definitely don't have it down, but want to keep working on it. Why? The next few verses in Philippians 2 explain: "So that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a warped and crooked generation. Then you will shine among them like stars in the sky as you hold firmly to the word of life." (Philippians 2:15 - 16a)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive