Monday, May 17, 2010

Monday Miscellaneous

- Feeling a bit tired today. Long, but very good weekend. I had the opportunity to preach at Grace Community on Sunday. We wrapped up our Bucket List series with I Want to See the World. It was a very challenging week of study for me because I continually had to ask myself the question, "What am I doing that will outlast me?" I continue to be challenged to make a lasting impact on the people around me that I know and the people around me in the world that I don't know.

- After preaching 3 services yesterday, I went to a Cancer Survivor's Celebration at Goshen College. It was put on by the Goshen Cancer Center. Really special time and very cool to see so many other cancer survivors there! Pro Football Hall of Famer and former Chicago Bears running back, Gail Sayers, was the guest speaker. Here's a picture of me with him below.


- Quick story behind the picture ... I was invited to be at the Celebration early in order to have my picture taken with Gail Sayers, but because of our church services, I was not able to be there early. So, Carol and I actually arrived just as things were getting started. Anyway, after everything was finished, I mentioned to Carol that I was bummed that I wasn't able to get a picture with Gail Sayers because I've always admired him as a football player. I saw him in the crowd, but he was surrounded by people and I just felt a little awkward going up to him and asking him for a picture because he was just being hounded by so many other people. Seriously, right after that Carol and I are getting ready to leave the building and one of the leaders of the Survivor's Celebratioin sees us and says, "Hey, you weren't able to get your picture taken with Gail were you." I said, "No, we couldn't get here in time." He said, "Well, let me introduce you to him." So, he parts the crowd like Moses parting the Red Sea, takes me up to Gail Sayers and introduces us and then has his professional photographer take a picture of us together. The picture you see is the one Carol took with my phone ... at a bad angle because there we so many other people around us and she couldn't get anywhere near Gail and me.
- Even at age 67, I'm pretty sure that Gail Sayers could still out run me.
- After the Celebration, Carol and I were able to have a nice dinner and then we went to see a movie. It was a great afternoon with my beautiful wife!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive