Monday, April 19, 2010

Monday Miscellaneous


- We kicked off our new series at Grace yesterday called the Bucket List. Great message! Here are a couple of quotes:

"God did not design us to simply watch life go by."
" Many of us go through life deciding what pad to buy for our butt."
"Life isn't measured by the breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away."

- Met with one of our axis teenagers this morning for breakfast and for a Bible study. We've been meeting at 7am every Monday for the past few weeks simply to talk about the Bible. No specific Bible studies or anything like that. We just pick something to read throughout the week and then get together on Mondays and talk about what we read. We read through Philippians last week. When we talked about Philippians 2:5 "In your relationships with one another, have the same attitude of mind Christ Jesus had." My teenage friend said, "Yeah, we should have the same attitude as Jesus because ... well, His attitude was pretty awesome." I loved it! No deep theology or anything like that. Just a blanket statement that summed up the whole verse. I love teenagers!

- I took our student leadership team to Granger Community Church last night to observe their youth ministry GSM (Granger Student Ministries). It was really a positive experience for us. I took them for a few reasons: 1) To hang out together. 2) To observe another ministry and get some fresh ideas. 3) To allow our student leaders to understand what it feels like to be the "newbie" somewhere. Seemed like all three purposes were fulfilled. I had our kids not walk in as a group, but walk in as pairs and just mingle around. I wanted them to understand what it feels like to walk in to some place new where they don't know anyone and don't know their way around in order to give them a better understanding of what it's like for the new kids that visit axis every Wednesday. I also asked them to observe and be willing to talk about their experience as a whole. We had a really good conversation afterwards and we all learned a lot!

Here are a few of the take-a-ways for me:

1) GSM did a really good job of making a great first impression. They looked profession. They looked like they were expecting us (as visitors) and that things were well thought out.

2) They did a good job of having their teenagers plugged in to making the service happen.

3) Their media production was just crazy! Here is a short video of their worship time last night. Super cool stage design and set!


video

4) DC Curry, their youth pastor, was really nice and went out of his way to talk with us. And, his assistant, Katie, was just an incredible help! She totally went out of her way to help us feel welcomed and answer any questions and was willing to stay with us as long as we wanted.

- We are trying to plug people in to small groups at Grace tonight. Small groups is another area of responsibility for me at the church. Tonight we have 36 families looking to be plugged in to small groups. Should be a fun night!

- Saddened ... just completely saddened by the Ben Rothlesberger stuff going on. I know charges are not being pressed, but man, talk about someone just putting themself in a stupid, stupid position. I'm an unashamed Steeler fan and am also a Big Ben fan, but after reading the police report, it's going to be really difficult to watch him play this year. I'm just hoping he gets his life in order and begins to make some better decisions.

- Another episode of 24 tonight. There have been two weeks in a row with the "silent" countdown at the end ... not sure if I can handle 3 weeks in a row.

-My experience making the commercial for the Goshen Cancer Center went really well. I had no idea how much went in to making a commercial! There was a 10 person production staff, lights EVERYWHERE, cameras EVERYWHERE ... I have to admit I was a little intimidated at first. But, I took time to pray and just asked God to be honored through the whole experience. I believe He was. I was able to talk about how my faith in Jesus got me through my battle and how supportive so many people were of me and my family. Whether that all will make the final "cut" I'm not sure, but at least 10 people were able to hear it.

- Since making the commercial, I keep joking with my wife that I've become a male "diva." She's having nothing to do with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive