Friday, February 26, 2010

Axis Wrap Up 2-24-10

Topic: Identity

Student Involvement: Kids were greeting, working the cafe, taking pictures, stacking chairs, passing out bubble gum, giving out free hugs and compliments, working the tech cage, and leading small groups.

Fun Stuff: We did a couple of fun things. First, we played just a silly game called Heads or Tails. I had all the kids stand up, I flipped a coin, and if kids thought it was heads they put their hands on their heads. If they thought it was tails they put their hands on their butt (key word being THEIR butt). :) If you chose wrongly, you sat down, and we kept going til we had one winner. They got a prize. We also did another thing where I gave our kids the opportunity just to get to now each other better. I separated kids in to groups based on kids who probably didn't know each other very well just because of where they typically sat in our room. We then had them spend about 10 minutes together answering various questions I'd ask from the front of the room. Seemed like a majority of the kids enjoyed doing this.

Attendance: 155 with 3 first time visitors

Bible Verses: Phil. 4:13, Psalm 45:11, Deut. 7:6, Joshua 1:5, Jeremiah 31:34, Eph. 2:10

Main Thought: You are not defined by what you do but rather by who God says you are.

Night Review: We broke up in to small groups tonight. Those not in a small group, stayed with me and we talked about our identity and what defines us. I shared a personal illustration of a time when I was feeling very inadequate because of not being able to do something and how I started to believe lies about myself. I spent time sharing how we often feel like we are defined by what we can do or cannot do and the dangers that can bring to our lives because of the lies we'll begin to believe. We watched an I Am Second video of Michelle Aguilar (former winner of the Biggest Loser) and she talked about her self value (or lack of it) and what God did to bring her to a place where she wasn't going to allow herself to be defined by her weight or lack of weight or by her smile or by what she did. She was simply going to allow who God says she is define who she is.

We closed the night by reading a few lies we often believe about ourselves but combatted those lies with the truth of God's word (i.e. I'm not good enough vs. Philippians 4:13 ... I'm ugly vs. Psalm 45:11 ... God can't forgive me vs. Jeremiah 31:34). As kids left, I encouraged them to walk passed a set of mirrors and then to write on the mirrors how God feels about them. They may not even feel this about themselves yet, but I encouraged them to write out the truth about who God says they are. It was a cool way to end our time.

Personal Thoughts: Wow, it was a really crazy day on Wednesday! I felt like my mind was all over the place and I really had difficulty focusing. I didn't feel like I was at my best while teaching but it was cool to see how God used it anyway. Kids came up to me afterwards and said how what was talked about was just what they needed to hear.

We opened our Prayer Room tonight for the first time and it was cool to see kids praying in there. We also started a "Deeper" text list ... a new thing we're doing where I'll send 3 to 4 texts out a week with different Bible verses to reflect on, different things to pray about, or just simply a thought to meditate on. We had over 50% of our kids sign up for this list. Excited to see how that could be used to give kids opportuntities to turn their thoughts toward God.

Next Week: Our special "Invite a Friend" night. Our students are leading and we're sharing the Gospel! Can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive