Monday, May 4, 2009

2:17:46

That was my time for the half marathon this past Saturday. I was VERY happy with that time. My goal was to do it in under 2 1/2 hours, and so I was happy to have reached that goal. Here are a few of my "post race" thoughts:

- I loved seeing the look of determination on the faces of everyone running. There were 35,000 people registered for that race, making it the largest half marathon in the world! 35,000 people all with the same goal ... to finish. 35,000 people, determined, focused, of the same mind. As I was running, I would occassionally take a peak in to someone's eyes and see the desire in their heart to finish. It was so cool to see that many people with a similiar passion and goal. Imagine if the Church would rally together with that same passion, that same determination, that same focus. Wow! The things that could happen!

- I loved trying to be an encouragement to people during the race. I'd try to talk, occassionally, with people running beside me ... find out their history of running, encourage them to have a good race, etc. During the last mile there were several people who were really struggling. It was cool to be able to come next to a couple of them and try to be an encouragement. I think that actually helped me get through the last mile.

- 13 miles is a long run! The longest I had trained for was 10 miles. The last 3 miles were pretty tough, and I remember thinking after I crossed the finish line: "I don't think I ever want to run again!" But, here is it ... Monday ... and I went for a 3 mile jog this morning. I just needed some time to recover.

- It was really fun to have Carol, Ezra, and Mercy in Indy with me. They didn't get to come to the race at all, but when I walked in to the room after the race, Ezra started clapping for me. It was really cute!

- Carol was just so incredibly supportive through all of this. I loved having her say that she was proud of me for running. She freed me up to run ... encouraged me ... supported me ... she's awesome!

- I'm sore today, but it's a "good" sore. It feels good to have accomplished a goal and I feel I have a healthy sense of pride about it all.

1 comment:

Blog Archive