Saturday, April 18, 2009

Wednesday Wrap Up







Topic - Surviving Your Family
The "Big" Idea - You can choose to win or choose to lose in your family
Student Involvement - We had kids greeting, passing out prizes, doing announcements, working in the tech room, playing in the worship band, working the cafe, taking pictures, running our video camera, passing out Bibles, reading Scripture, and giving testimonies.
Attendance - 177 with 7 first time visitors
Worship Set - Sing, Sing, Sing by Chris Tomlin, Glory to God by Steve Fee, and We Are the Redeemed by Steve Fee.
Fun Stuff - We wanted to help kids overcome the "post spring break blues" so we did a ton of prize give-a-ways ... anything from Lucky Charms to Target gift cards. Surprisingly ... the boxes of cereal we gave away received the loudest rounds of applause! Also, during the lesson, we used "Poll Everywhere" ... a program that allows you to take "text" polls with real time results. Our kids really seemed to get in to that. The website is http://www.polleverywhere.com
Bible Verses - Ephesians 6:1 - 4, Proverbs 12:18, 1 Timothy 5:8, and Ephesians 4:31 - 32
Lesson Review - For some, the word "family" can be a happy word and a sad word. It can bring up so many different memories ... some good and some bad. Statistics still show that our family, in particular our parents, still have one of the largest influences on teenagers. Sometimes that influence is positive and other times it's negative. But, we just wanted to take some time to talk about family life and how students can "Survive Their Family." When I talk with parents, I talk about the responsibilities that parents have in the family. When I talk to teenagers, I talk about the responsibilities that teenagers have in the family. I've heard enough "horror" stories to know that parents often blame teenagers and teenagers often blame parents ... sometimes justifiably, but many times it comes down to personal responsibility ... am I following Biblical guidelines when it comes to my family?
Many of the lesson thoughts came from something on the family that Doug Fields developed. I enjoyed his thoughts and adapted much if it for myself. But, I did use 3 of his ideas: 1. You can tear down and lose or build up and win with your words. 2. You can be ungrateful and lose or be thankful and win. 3. You can be bitter and lose or forgive and win. I basically just tried to challenge our students to look at their own personal responsbility in their families and that the Bible tells them to honor and respect their parents. I gave them certain challenges to follow during the week that would help them to show their parents honor, respect, and thankfulness.
Personal Thoughts - My niece from CT was visiting for the week and so she was able to come to axis with us. As we talked on the way home she told me how much she enjoyed being there. That made me feel good and it, again, made me extremely grateful for our church and our youth ministry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive