Monday, April 20, 2009

Monday Monday

- I met with my small group of teenagers yesterday afternoon. It was one of the best small groups we've had. We just had a really cool combination of connecting, studying, and praying. We had fun. We joked. We studied the Bible. It was just one of those meetings I left thinking: "Yeah, this is why I'm in youth ministry."

- I learned a few things from the house project that we did last week.

1. I'm not and never will be good at building or construction.
2. My father-in-law and brother-in-law are amazing at building and construction!
3. I had to swallow some "male pride" throughout the week. When there was "man work" to do ... I didn't know how to do it and so my role was reduced to the simple things ... throwing things away, running out to get things, even getting lunch ready for them. It just strikes a blow to the "male ego." But, what I learned is that in a "big picture project" everyone has a role. My role was NOT to build. If it were, the floors would be crooked, uneven, and probably held together with duct tape. My role was to support which meant there were times I'd get lunch ready. There were times I'd be with the kids. There were times I'd run out to get something. There were times when I'd load or unload. In the "big picture" those things needed to be done in order for the project to get done. I could have let my pride get in the way ... my male ego dictate what I would or would not do ... but that would have hurt the project as a whole. I had to be comfortable with what my role was. That's probably a good lesson to apply in life, in church, in work ... whatever it may be. I feel like one of my strengths is being a "role player" ... helping the team in whatever way I can. I hope I never lose that by letting my pride get in the way.

- Two weeks and counting until the half-marathon. My training was definately messed up last week. I only ran once, so I was sure to get up early today and go for a 5 mile run. It felt pretty good, but I could tell I only ran once last week. I'm excited about reaching this goal in just 11 more days!

- My new favorite salad is a salad that Carol has been making lately with dried cranberries, raisins, grapes, and cashews. She uses baby spinach and then puts a low fat sweet and sour dressing on it. If you're looking for a good salad ... that's the way to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive