Saturday, March 21, 2009

Running

I never thought I'd say this, but if I don't get a chance to run, I actually MISS doing it! I've been training for a half-marathon that I'll be running in Indy in May and have really enjoyed getting ready for it. I've talked to a lot of people who say that when they run they feel close to God and can spend lots of time in prayer. Well, that's great for them, but when I run, a majority of the time I'm too busy BREATHING to be able to focus on anything else. :) But, what I have noticed is that running has taught me that I can do more than I think I can do. When I first started training for this half-marathon, I kind of circled March 21st because that was the day that I was to run 9 miles. NINE FREAKING MILES! At the beginning of the year, I could never have imagined myself being able to do that ... but today I did. Running has taught me to push myself ... to go one more mile ... to be disciplined enough to get up and go ... and even though MOST of the time I'm not really enjoying it DURING the run, when I'm finished I just feel GREAT!

Today, in between my breaths, I did try to pray for a bit while I was running. I focused on asking the Holy Spirit to to continue to develop His fruit in my life: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and SELF CONTROL. As I look at my life, "self control" seems to be the one that I've struggled with many times ... but the Holy Spirit wants to give me self control. I'm just blown away by the role the Holy Spirit plays in our lives. As Pastor Jim has often said, "The Holy Spirit is our unfair advantage." The Holy Spirit shows up to show off and I'm praying that I'll continue to allow the Holy Spirit to "show off" in my life.

Oh, funny story about my run this morning ... it was pretty cold outside. Since my chemotherapy treatments two years ago, my hands have been really, really sensitive to cold. So, at five miles I was running past my house and my hands were FREEZING ... literally numb. I couldn't feel them at all. So, I stopped and grabbled a pair of gloves, but the only gloves I had were my camo huntin' gloves. So, there I was in my running shorts, my adidas shirt ... AND my camo gloves. Don't think I'll be getting a sponsor any time soon. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive