Friday, February 20, 2009

Wednesday Wrap Up

Topic: God's Planet, Our Responsibility

Lesson in a Sentence: This planet gives us a picture of God and is His gift to us. We have a responsibility to take care of it.

Attendance: 184 with 10 first time visitors

Student Involvement: We had students greeting, serving in the cafe, working in the tech booth, and playing on the worship band.

Worship Set: Forever (Chris Tomlin), Better is One Day (Matt Redman), Indescribable (Chris Tomlin)

Fun Stuff: Dodge ball and the Discovery Channel "Boom De Ada" commercial. (an idea taken from More Than Dodgeball).

Lesson in More Than a Sentence: I talked briefly about two times in my life when I was so overwhelmed with creation that I was 100% absolutely without-a-doubt certain that God existed. The first time was when I went to the Grand Canyon. The second time was last year when I went to Alaska. I felt so small when confronted with these amazing natural wonders. My "self-centeredness" took a back seat to the idea that someone (God) a whole bigger and smarter than I created all of this.

We watched 3 separate 3 minute videos (The Apollo 8 reading of Genesis 1, a clip from Louie Guiglio's "Indescribable" talk, and the "King of the Ocean" clip from the Discovery Channel's Blue Planet). I wanted to use these clips to show that we can see different aspects of God through what He has created. We also saw a variety of pictures of landscapes and wild life. Romans 1:20 talks about being able to see God through His creation so that we are "without excuse."

We then talked about how in Genesis 1, God gave all that He created to man. He entrusted us with it. We used the example of what it would be like if you put all of your best time and efforts and creativity in to making a gift for your boyfriend or girlfriend, and after giving it to them, they spilt soda all over it, got ketchup on it, dropped it on the floor and allowed it to be stepped on ... and did nothing to clean up what you gave them. Would you be hurt? Of course. So, we related that to how God gave us this incredible gift ... the earth ... so we have a responsibility to take care of it.

Next week, we'll look at practical things we can to do help the environment.

Personal Thoughts: This will definately be a journey for me and for our kids. I'll be honest, I know Carol and I haven't been doing "our part" in recycling, etc. But, we've really been challenged in this area lately and want to do better. So, I'll be learning as our kids are learning. It will be fun and I'm excited about the changes that we'll be making in our family.

Pictures from the Night:












No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive