Monday, February 9, 2009

Wednesday Wrap Up

Topic: It's Time to "Out Give"

Lesson in a Sentence: Give your best no matter what you're doing.

Attendance: 190 with 7 first time visitors.

Student Involvement: We had kids involved in greeting, passing out prize tickets, passing out prizes, working the cafe, taking pictures, working in the tech booth, on the worship team, and reading Scripture.

Fun Stuff: We had a little competition where we showed 4 Super Bowl commercials and asked students to guess my favorite commercial by going to a designated corner. The kids that guessed correctly won 50cents Cafe Cash. The kids just LOVED watching the commercials again and there was a ton of laughter in the room.

Lesson in More Than a Sentence: We talked through the idea that no matter what we are doing, God wants us to give our best. We looked at Malachai 1:8 which talks about how wrong God said it was for priest to sacrifice "blind, crippled or diseased" animals. God wants our best. We watched a video from an episode of The Biggest Loser where there was a contestant who was NOT giving her best and the impact it had on everyone else at the "ranch." We also looked at Colossians 3:23 which says, "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men." Often times when we think about giving, we relate that to money. And, we touched on that aspect a little bit with our teenagers, but I tried to drive home the idea that God wants us to give our best at everything we do. If you work at McDonald's, be the best burger flipper around. If your mom asks you to clean your room, don't just sweep the stuff under the bed. Go above and beyond what your mom asks of you. Do your best at everything you do, no matter what it is.

Personal Thoughts: If felt like God was really speaking to our kids Wednesday night. Kids were worshipping during the worship set and also really seemed like they were challenged during the lesson. I shared with our kids a prayer I pray every day: I ask God to help me be a "great husband, a great dad, and a great youth pastor." When I die, I don't want to be known as an average husband, an average dad, and average pastor. I don't even want to be known as good. I want my wife, my kids, and the teenagers in my ministry to say, "He was great!" ... not in a boastful or proud way, but because I just really want to give my best. After I shared that, it was cool to have some kids come up to me and just briefly tell me some encouraging things.

Pictures from the Night:










No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive