Monday, February 2, 2009

Monday Monday

- Really cool services at Grace yesterday. Jim's topic was "Out Give" and really challenged us on being generous even in hard economic times (2 Corinthians 8:1 - 7). Elkhart County has been hit as hard as any place in the United States with hard economic times, but it's times like this where the church needs to step up and BE THE CHURCH. So, we were challenged to continue being generous and then also challenged to step up and be the Acts 2 church. Some cool things that happened at the end of the services were that people were coming forward and offering their services to others ... mechanics offering labor free service, beauticians offering free or very inexpensive hair cuts, people giving $100 gift cards away, teenagers offering free baby sitting ... very cool.

- Schools in Pittsburg are operating on a 2-hour delay today ... not because of snow or cold, but because the Steelers won the Super Bowl! That's awesome. We watched the Super Bowl with around 25 other teenagers last night at the church. It was a lot of fun, but I should have known that our kids would be up to something trying to distract me from the game. So, some kids got together and tried to come up with a "crisis" for me to handle during the game (a big argument between a boyfriend and girl friend that was escalating). One of my AWESOME youth leaders, though, was tipped off and texted me about a minute before "the plan" was put in to action. So, I went with it for about 1 minute and then went back to the game. It was fun to look like I was psychic. :) They were also standing up in front of our big screen trying to block my view of the game. Ah, I love teenagers! But, I am PUMPED that the Steelers won. What a game!

- Peter King from CNN/Sports Illustrated wrote a great piece on chemistry in his column today. Here's a bit of it:

"Chemistry didn't win the most exciting Super Bowl I've covered, but chemistry did wear a Pittsburgh jersey. I'm convinced it played a part in what happened in the Steelers' last-minute 27-23 win, the same way organization and intelligence helped New England win three Super Bowls. Chemistry got built three years ago in Pittsburgh when Jerome Bettis wanted to draw the franchise quarterback more into the fraternal graces of the locker room and started playing a silly game with Ben Roethlisberger, standing 20 yards from the goal post and seeing who could be the first one to hit an upright with a pass. It stays built because Tomlin flits from group to group at practice, being involved, touching almost every player every day. "FAST Willie Parker!'' he'll say when Parker sprints upfield against air in a practice.

No one knows what chemistry is, or how important it is in winning. But you ask coaches, and they'll say they're trying to build the right chemistry on their team. Always. It's one of those things you can't define, but you can see. And the Steelers are full of it. I spent 10 minutes mesmerized by the defensive backs, one talking louder than the other (except the quiet Polamalu, who mostly looked on and smiled) as they went from a loud brotherly spat to peals of laughter.
The Steelers define "loose.''


"We're brothers,'' said cornerback Ike Taylor. "We're closer than brothers. Sometimes, when I miss a play, I feel awful about it because I feel like I've not only let myself down, but I've let down the group, and we play for each other, so if I fail, we all fail. That's a big responsibility.''

I'm so glad to be a part of a team at Grace that has so much chemistry! I feel blessed to be here and love the guys I work with.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive